A small experiment in tea-dying: What I gathered from the few articles I did find about tea dying, one should actually simmer the tea with the wool already in the pot. All I did was add the wool to hot tea (or coffee, in one case). I wanted to see what this method would yield, and the result is a number of weak, though pleasant, washes of color. I like these results but will have to do something different if I want something darker. These are from used tea bags, with the exception of the last one.
- For comparison, this is the wool I used with no dye. It a cream color with the slightest yellowish tint.
- Green tea from a used bag, 1 hour and 15 minute soak time.
- Twinings Chai, used bag, 30 minutes soaking.
- Twinings Irish Breakfast tea, used bag, 20 minutes.
- Used coffee grounds, 50 minutes.
- Twinings Irish Breakfast tea again; this was new bag, and was soaked for 2 hours.